Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sub-domains

Post Sub-domains

Sub-domain is a domain that is a part of another domain.

Subdomains are traditionally used to separate and organize different departments on your site. For example, if you have multiple departments in your company your main site might look like this: mydomain.com then you can have subdomains like:

sales.mydomain.com, billing.mydomain.com, gallery.mydomain.com, etc.

Sub-domains are available with all of our hosting plans.
    Last edited by AlexY; September 19th, 2009 at 07:34 PM.

kschuelke Guest

Question

It's probably right in front of me, but how do I associate a subdomain to a specific directory in the Helm panel?

Assuming you are using Helm version 4, when you create the sub domain, Helm creates a folder for that sub domain off of the FTP root folder in a SubDomains folder. You would then place your sub domain files in that folder.

Example: /SubDomains/your_sub_name

kschuelke Guest

Any way I can do the assignment of sub-domain to directory myself, instead of Helm defaulting to the manner you described?

I'm sorry, but there is not.

nuberfin Guest

So if I have more than one domain in my file structure, let's say

DomainA.com
    DomainB.com

and I wanted to create a subdomain called "Admin" for them both, I couldn't do it since they would both need to go into the same folder (subdomains), would have the same name, and therefore wouldn't be distinct between the two domains.

Is that correct?

Assuming you are on the Windows platform, each domain that has its own content would have it's own directory structure, so you would not have that problem.

Default How do I access the files in my SubDomain folders before my domain has propagated?

Hi,

I was wondering how to test/view the sub domains I have created before my domain propagates?

i.e as with: http://myDomain-com.securec11.ezhostingserver.com. I have tried a few different ways to no avail.

Thanks,
    Tony Gray

Hello,

This will depend on what folder the subdomain is pointed to. Please send your domain name to [email protected] with the subdomain you're wanting to access and we can let you know what URL you'll need to use.

Thanks

Post Pre-Propagation Testing for Sub Domains

For Windows and ColdFusion domains in the "wcp.hostek.com" hosting control panel, you can use the following format to test sub-domains before the domain has been pointed to our name servers:

Sub Domain Name: mySub.myDomain.com
    Testing URL: http://mySub-myDomain-com.securec11.ezhostingserver.com

NOTE: replace securec11.ezhostingserver.com with the server name shown on the pre-propagation URL for the main site.

David D.