Thread: ColdFusion - SQLite datasource

Default ColdFusion - SQLite datasource

We have a need to copy one or more SQLite databases to our CF site and query them. This requires that a JDBC Driver be installed in the ColdFusion infrastructure.

Is this JDBC driver offered by Hostek or are there any plans to have that driver installed in the future?

Thanks,
    Matt

Hi,

The SQLite JDBC driver is not installed on our shared ColdFusion servers. We do not recommend the use of embedded databases for production Web sites, and would highly recommend converting the database to MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server.
    Last edited by jakeh; June 20th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeh View Post
    Hi,

The SQLite JDBC driver is not installed on our shared ColdFusion servers. We do not recommend the use of embedded databases for production Web sites, and would highly recommend converting the database to MySQL or Microsoft SQL Server.

Can you please tell me why it is not recommended to use an embedded database with production sites ? I have just created a site (my first one) which utilizes the embedded Derby database in cf10 and have just signed up for a VPS server, can I use the embedded database, or do I need to convert it (somehow) to MySQL ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Embedded databases are not recommended on shared servers because of the amount of extra resources that it pulls from the server, rather than pulling resources from a separate dedicated MySQL/MSSQL server. However, on a VPS you can use whatever database system you would like as you have full access to the server to make any needed configuration changes.

Quote Originally Posted by carlb View Post
    Embedded databases are not recommended on shared servers because of the amount of extra resources that it pulls from the server, rather than pulling resources from a separate dedicated MySQL/MSSQL server. However, on a VPS you can use whatever database system you would like as you have full access to the server to make any needed configuration changes.
    Great thanks for clearing that up for me. Do you know of any articles that explain how to set up an embedded database on a VPS ? do I have access to Coldfusion Administrator on the server, and if so , how ? Thanks for all the help.

For creating an embedded database you can just add “create=true” to the connection string when setting up a DSN in the ColdFusion Administrator. You do have access to the ColdFusion Administrator on a VPS server, you'll just need to click the shortcut for ColdFusion Adminstrator on the desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by carlb View Post
    For creating an embedded database you can just add “create=true” to the connection string when setting up a DSN in the ColdFusion Administrator. You do have access to the ColdFusion Administrator on a VPS server, you'll just need to click the shortcut for ColdFusion Adminstrator on the desktop.
    Excellent ! thanks for that...it's a relief to know I don't have to migrate all my tables over to MySQL.