PDA

View Full Version : Sub-domains

AlexY
September 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Sub-domain is a domain that is a part of another domain.

Subdomains are traditionally used to separate and organize different departments on your site. For example, if you have multiple departments in your company your main site might look like this: mydomain.com then you can have subdomains like:

sales.mydomain.com, billing.mydomain.com, gallery.mydomain.com, etc.

Sub-domains are available with all of our hosting plans.

kschuelke
December 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
It's probably right in front of me, but how do I associate a subdomain to a specific directory in the Helm panel?

Brian
December 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Assuming you are using Helm version 4, when you create the sub domain, Helm creates a folder for that sub domain off of the FTP root folder in a SubDomains folder. You would then place your sub domain files in that folder.

Example: /SubDomains/your_sub_name

kschuelke
December 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Any way I can do the assignment of sub-domain to directory myself, instead of Helm defaulting to the manner you described?

Brian
December 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'm sorry, but there is not.

nuberfin
January 18th, 2010, 10:12 AM
So if I have more than one domain in my file structure, let's say

DomainA.com
DomainB.com

and I wanted to create a subdomain called "Admin" for them both, I couldn't do it since they would both need to go into the same folder (subdomains), would have the same name, and therefore wouldn't be distinct between the two domains.

Is that correct?

Brian
January 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Assuming you are on the Windows platform, each domain that has its own content would have it's own directory structure, so you would not have that problem.

lostride
February 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hi,

I was wondering how to test/view the sub domains I have created before my domain propagates?

i.e as with: http://myDomain-com.securec11.ezhostingserver.com. I have tried a few different ways to no avail.

Thanks,
Tony Gray

carlb
February 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hello,

This will depend on what folder the subdomain is pointed to. Please send your domain name to [email protected] with the subdomain you're wanting to access and we can let you know what URL you'll need to use.

Thanks

davidd
May 3rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
For Windows and ColdFusion domains in the "wcp.hostek.com" hosting control panel, you can use the following format to test sub-domains before the domain has been pointed to our name servers:

Sub Domain Name: mySub.myDomain.com
Testing URL: http://mySub-myDomain-com.securec11.ezhostingserver.com

NOTE: replace securec11.ezhostingserver.com with the server name shown on the pre-propagation URL for the main site.

David D.

lostride
May 18th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I have been trying to create a new Sub-domain in Helm and I get this error:

Unable to connect to Server 10.10.12.7, which is running an unlicenced version of Helm.

Thanks,
Tony Gray

ski
May 17th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Could you please tell me/direct me to instructions on how to setup a subdomain with content on a different server?

We have 2 clients with blogs hosted elsewhere for which we'd like to create a subdomain such as blog.domain.com.

Thanks!

BrentB
May 17th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Could you please tell me/direct me to instructions on how to setup a subdomain with content on a different server?

We have 2 clients with blogs hosted elsewhere for which we'd like to create a subdomain such as blog.domain.com.

Thanks!

Hello,

This is just done through DNS records. You would just create an A record for subdomain.domain.com that points to the IP of the other server.

Thank you,