Thread: Avoid losing email when switching hosts?

ImmortalSoFar Guest

Default Avoid losing email when switching hosts?

If you have a domain up and running and are switching to Hostek, is there a way to forward emails to your Hostek account before the DNS has switched?

The idea is to set up an email forwarder on your old host so that senders will either use Hostek if their copy if the DNS is the new one or get forwarded if not. It could be done through an intermediary (eg hotmail) but I was hoping to cut out the middle man.

Great question. Yes. You just need to set the MX record at the current host to point to our mail server.

If the account with us is Windows, ASP.NET or ColdFusion, you can login to your Helm control panel, click on the DNS Zone Editor, and look at the MX record to see what to point the MX to from the DNS at your other host.

If the account with us is on our Linux servers, you can set the MX at the other host to point to the server name that the site is on. This will be the same as your testing URL, ie, cp##.hostek.com (where it may be cp5.hostek.com for example).

ImmortalSoFar Guest

Thanks for the heads-up, Brian.

The linux server is Plesk1.hostek.com. Now Plesk, I think, is the control panel software as well as the server name so is that still the mail server? Just thought I'd make sure there was nothing non-standard about it before consigning any emails to oblivion!

That is correct. You would set the MX to plesk1.hostek.com in that case.