Thread: Installing CFWheels

Post Installing CFWheels

Here are some steps for installing CFWheels on ColdFusion 8 and 9:

1. Download the latest version from http://cfwheels.org/download

2. Unzip the contents to a folder on your computer

3. Remove the "web.config" and "IsapiRewrite4.ini" files.

4. Edit the ".htaccess" with any plain text editor(I.E. notepad, wordpad, etc.) and replace the contents with the following:

Code:
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*/(flex2gateway|jrunscripts|cfide|cfformgateway|railo-context|files|images|javascripts|miscellaneous|stylesheets|robots.txt|sitemap.xml|rewrite.cfm)($|/.*$) [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /rewrite.cfm/$1 [L]
    5. Setup a MySQL database and create a ColdFusion DSN for the database. Below are some tutorials on how to do this through the Helm control panel:

Helm3:

How to create a MySQL Database

How to create a ColdFusion DSN

Helm4:

How to create a MySQL Database

How to create a ColdFusion DSN

6. Edit the "config/settings.cfm" file in a plain text editor and enter your datasource name and your database username and password. Also, remove the comments around that section:

Example:
    Code:
    	<cfset set(dataSourceName="MyDSNName")>
    	<cfset set(dataSourceUserName="MyDatabaseUsername")>
    	<cfset set(dataSourcePassword="MyDatabasePassword")>
    7. Upload the files to your site(they must be inside the /wwwroot folder for URL rewriting to work properly).

Browse to your site, and you should see the default CFWheels home page.

David D.

brianward Guest

Default Add path to .htaccess file

You'll want to also add the path "CFFileServlet" to the .htaccess file if you want to use the "CFFILE" tag or any other ColdFusion tag that generates a file.

Regarding CFWheels installation on Cpanel Linux with Railo:

Installing wheels in a sub-directory does not work by default, we recommend installing only in the root directory and if for development / testing then using a sub-domain so that you can install CFWheels in the root directory while still being able to test outside of the primary domain.
    Jon Cavanaugh
    ColdFusion Systems Analysts
    Director of Business Development
    Linux Hosting | Christian Hosting | Railo Hosting

Aren't steps 3 and 4 specific to Linux hosting? Don't Windows hosting users need to use web.config? Or does URL rewrite not work in Windows?

I tried to modify my web.config by adding favicon.ico to the exception list but I still get file not found when I try to access it. Here's my web.config file:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
    	<system.webServer>
    		<rewrite>
    			<rules>
    				<rule name="ColdFusion on Wheels URL Rewriting" enabled="true">
    					<match url="^(.*)$" ignoreCase="true" />
    					<conditions logicalGrouping="MatchAll">
    						<add input="{SCRIPT_NAME}" negate="true" pattern="^/(favicon\.ico|CFFileServlet|flex2gateway|jrunscripts|cfide|cfformgateway|railo-context|files|images|javascripts|miscellaneous|stylesheets|robots.txt|sitemap.xml|rewrite.cfm)($|/.*$)" />
    					</conditions>
    					<action type="Rewrite" url="/rewrite.cfm/{R:1}" />
    				</rule>
    			</rules>
    		</rewrite>
    	</system.webServer>
    </configuration>

lecnt,

We have Isapi_ReWrite v3 installed on this server which would need the rewrite rules placed within the .htaccess file in the wwwroot directory of the domain.

Wow, I didn't know there's a way to use .htaccess with IIS. I'm new to Windows hosting, always had Linux before. Thank you so much for the clarification. And, of course, it worked as soon as I updated the .htaccess file.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    lecnt,

We have Isapi_ReWrite v3 installed on this server which would need the rewrite rules placed within the .htaccess file in the wwwroot directory of the domain.