Thread: Migrating WebMail to SmarterMail

Default Migrating WebMail to SmarterMail

I am in the process of moving two websites from a different provider to Hostek. One is a regular html site and the other is a Coldfusion 9 site. The sticking point right now is how to move the emails from a WebMail account to SmarterMail Enterprise 4.3 which is what is currently running on my Coldfusion site.

So, two questions...

1. My current site (a Coldfusion 9 Silver account) on Hostek is running SmarterMail 4.3, not version 6.x. How would I move WebMail over?

2. If I set up a new Windows Bronze account for my client , would I get SmarterMail 6.x?

Thanks,
    Doug

Doug, if your previous host is using SmarterMail you can request a zip file with your domain's email folder from their server and then just upload it to your FTP and then open a ticket at http://support.hostek.com asking our support team to copy the zip over to our SmarterMail server. All new accounts are now being set up on our latest SmarterMail server running version 6.

They're not using SmarterMail. They're using WebMail. I believe the WEBMAIL is using MAILDIR if that helps any. I can get a mail.tar.gz backup file but that's it.

DOug

Doug,

We would not be able to migrate your mail to our mail servers as we do not use maildir and the mail user information files would not be able to be migrated into our smartermail service.

Here is a list of the email servers that we can import mail from into SmarterMail6 (and later):

IMail (Version 11.0 and earlier), MailEnable, MailMax (version 4.8) and Merak

I was just looking over the forums at SmarterMail and their techies said SmarterMail 6 does have a tool to import from cPanel WebMail to SmarterMail 6. So does that mean you don't support that tool or...?

If not, then do you suggest downloading using IMAP and setting up an IMAP email account in SmarterMail and uploading the emails?

There's got to be a way of doing this.

Doug

Doug,

I searched the forums and could not find information about a tool to import from cPanel webmail to Smartermail. If you could provide a link to the post you mentioned, we'll be glad to look into it.

http://www.smartertools.com/forums/p/27674/76099.aspx

I know they're talking about using Godaddy cPanel WebMail, but that should be the same or similar to what is running on the ICDSoft.com site I want to migrate the emails from.

Awhile back I talked to a SmarterMail tech guy on the phone and he said it was possible too as long as hostek was running Ver 6.x. Since my current account with you uses SmarterMail 4.3, I cannot confirm this.

Thanks,

Doug

It appears you can use the mailbox migration tool to POP3 any existing email account and copy it. However its only available on smartermail 6, and your on ver. 4. If you would like to migrate your domains email to a smartermail 6 server, please contact [email protected] with your request.

Just a followup for others ( and in case I have to do this again ) who are trying to migrate emails from one server to another. I was trying to transfer emails from an accounts on icdsoft.com to hostek.com. ICDSoft uses cPanel WebMail and hostek.com had me on SmarterMail 4.3. on my plan. This version does not have a mail migration tool so Hostek upgraded me to Version 6.7 last night.

With the new version I was able to easily move my email by:

* creating a new email account on Hostek
    * choose Settings->Mailbox Migration -> Other
    * fill out the corresponding fields
    * I chose IMAP instead of POP3 but maybe that won't make a difference.
    * The mail transferred. Woot!

So that's the story. Now I'll try it on the other accounts I have and see if it works.

And thanks to the tech support for migrating me from 4.3 to 6.7 so quickly after my request. Nice!

Cheers,
    Doug