Thread: Blackboard type of resource

Default Blackboard type of resource

My assistant pastor asked me to create an area within our web site where Sunday School students could login and check for homework assignments and that parents could also login to check to see their children's homework assignments. At first I was thinking WordPress may be the way to go but then I thought if there was a blackboard type fo program I could implement, that probably would better suite his needs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking too that there must be something out there that would suite his needs better than anything I could create.

Your best option would be to use Wordpress with plugins like latex for creating a blackboard site.

Since it is for just seeing assignments mainly you could go with a forum type route and use phpBB.

Default Word Press Question

OK, how do I install and get WordPress to start working on our domain. I went to the WordPress site and it looks like they want a fee to use it after the trial ends. Can I use it within our domain without paying anything additional? Do I have to open a support ticket to get it installed?

Lutherandj,

You can install WordPress from within your control panel if you have a Windows hosting plan you can install this within your WCP control panel under the "Applications" icon. If your account is a Linux hosting plan you can install Wordpress from within Fantastico in your cpanel account.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Lutherandj,

You can install WordPress from within your control panel if you have a Windows hosting plan you can install this within your WCP control panel under the "Applications" icon. If your account is a Linux hosting plan you can install Wordpress from within Fantastico in your cpanel account.
    I don't see anywhere to install it - I just see a messaage that says Required scripting supports not available, please see below for more details.

Lutherandj,

You will need to submit a support ticket for us to be able to assist you with your issue.

Default Word Press

OK, I installed word press. It looks nice and it appears I could customize it very easily. I'm thinking the pastor wants the site(Pages) secure though so that only he, his students and parents of his students can login. They may just use one login for all the students and parents. Can this be implemented?

wordpress does that natively in the new or edit page - beside the editor, click on "visibility", you can then password protect that page.

You can also click on plugins in wordpress and then search for plugins that have more features if you are needing more than what wordpress comes with natively.