Thread: how do i use sitemaker to edit my current webpage?

Default how do i use sitemaker to edit my current webpage?

I have a current webpage and have no idea how to begin editing it. I have opened a sitemaker account but do not know how to use it to edit a current page instead of starting over with a new format. HELP?

You would not want to use sitemaker to edit an existing page. Sitemaker is for creating a new site.

To edit an existing page, you can do one of two options:
    a) download the file with an FTP client like FileZilla and then edit the page locally with your favorite editor, maybe like NotePad++ - then save the file, and re-upload it.

or

b) use the built-in file editor within the control panel. This allows you to edit the file directly on the server.

I personally prefer option (a) so I can easily keep a backup copy of the file in case I mess something up

Hope that helps.

Default need more info

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    You would not want to use sitemaker to edit an existing page. Sitemaker is for creating a new site.

To edit an existing page, you can do one of two options:
    a) download the file with an FTP client like FileZilla and then edit the page locally with your favorite editor, maybe like NotePad++ - then save the file, and re-upload it.

or

b) use the built-in file editor within the control panel. This allows you to edit the file directly on the server.

I personally prefer option (a) so I can easily keep a backup copy of the file in case I mess something up

Hope that helps.
    I am very new to this system and to website management. Can you give me more info or a step by step way to do what you suggested?

In order to edit the site you will need to know how to program in the language your site is built in "HTML, ASP, PHP".

If you are familiar on updating this type of code you would need to download an FTP client as Brian mentioned (Filezilla), you would then connect to the server via FTP with this client using the Host, Username, Password which can be found within your control panel under FTP Accounts.

Once you are logged in you would locate the file on the server you are needing to edit, download this to your computer, edit the code in your editor (NotePad++) and then save the edits.

You would then upload the file back to the server.

Option b as mentioned by Brian would allow you to log into your WCP control panel and click on the File Manager icon, here you would locate the file within the directory tree, place a checkmark in the box next to the file you would like to edit, click the Edit icon which will bring up a text editor and the code so you can edit then save this.